Rockets rally from 19 down to edge Harlan on last-second 3

John Henson

Rockcastle County’s Travis Rogers drove agianstg Harlan’s Kyler McLendon in scrimmage action Friday at South Laurel. McLendon scored 23 to lead the Dragons, who led by 19 in the fourth quarter before Rockcastle County rallied to win 73-72.

LONDON — Down 19 points early in the fourth quarter, Rockcastle County closed the final scrimmage Friday in the G.J. Smith Showcase at South Laurel High School with a 30-10 run to edge Harlan 73-72 on a last-second 3-pointer by sophomore forward Broedy Dunaway.
Harlan led after each of the first three quarters even though coach Derrick Akal substituted freely throughout the scrimmage. The Rockets rallied against the Dragons’ second unit as the Harlan starters watched the final five minutes from the bench.
Junior guard Kyler McLendon led the Dragons with 23 points, including 10 in the third quarter as Harlan outscored Rockcastle 22-14 to build a 10-point lead that grew to 18 early in the final period.
Eighth-grade guard Trenton Cole was next for Harlan with 13 points. Freshman guard Connor Daniels finished with nine points on three 3-pointers in the second quarter. Jaedyn Gist and Kaleb McLendon added eight points each. Will Austin scored six. Dylan Cox tossed in three. Nate Montanaro and Jake Brewer scored one each.
———
Barbourville rallied for a 71-65 overtime victory over Hazard with a 10-0 run in the extra period. Matthew Warren forced the overtime with a 3-pointer in the closing seconds of regulation. Warren, Travis Scott and Ethan Smith took over in overtime as the Tigers pulled away after trailing most of the scrimmage.
McCreary Central defeated Middlesboro 78-59 and Jackson County downed Morgan County 71-65 in the other scrimmages.

Harlan’s Kaleb McLendon drove past a Rockcastle County defender in scrimmage action Friday in London. (John Henson)