Dragons split opening summer scrimmages at Barbourville

John Henson

Harlan sophomore guard Connor Daniels worked against a Somerset Christian defender in scrimmage action Thursday at Barbourville. Daniels scored 15 points in Harlan’s 64-62 win, then added 27 in a loss to Barbourville.

BARBOURVILLE — With a returning starter and three others expected to be in the mix for starting spots in Lexington for the Class A state track meet, the Harlan Green Dragons opened their summer schedule Thursday with two wins and one loss.
Freshman guard Trenton Cole, one of the Dragons’ two returning starters, hit three early 3-pointers and six for the scrimmage in a 29-point effort to lead Harlan in a 64-62 win over Somerset Christian. Sophomore guard Connor Daniels added 15 points. Hunter Clem and Jacob Clark added eight and six points, respectively. Matthew Pennington, Jaxson Perry and Eli Noe scored two points each.
Harlan led most of the way in the scrimmage, 18-10 after one quarter, 38-28 at halftime and 58-51 after three quarters, but the Dragons’ lack of depth almost cost them at the end as Somerset Christian missed a couple of chances to tie in the final minute.
The Dragons played without standout senior guard Kyler McLendon, their leading scorer last season. Harlan was also without Dylan Cox, Nate Montanaro and Darius Akal.
Harlan took a 15-13 lead after one quarter against Barbourville, but the Tigers took over from there in posting a 79-54 victory.
Daniels led the Dragons with 27 points, including four 3-pointers. Clem added 14 points. Cole scored six, followed Eric Evans with five and Perry with two.
The Harlan junior varsity team led all the way but had to hang on at the end for a 40-39 victory over Barbourville.

Harlan senior forward Matthew Pennington went up for a basket in the Dragons’ win Thursday over Somerset Christian. (John Henson)
Harlan freshman Eric Evans worked around a Barbourville defender. The Dragons won 40-39 in junior varsity action. (John Henson)