Black Bears face tough task in opening-round game against unbeaten Corbin

Chandra Howard

Harlan County running back Thomas Jordan found an opening around the Perry Central defense earlier this season; Jordan ran for over 1,000 yards this season. The Black Bears travel to Corbin on Friday for the first round of the 4A playoffs.

After missing the playoffs for the first time in school history last year, the Harlan County Black Bears are happy to be back.
They have a monumental task ahead of them though in the opening round Friday as they travel to Corbin to take on the unbeaten and No. 1 ranked Corbin Redhounds.
“It’s hard to find any weaknesses. I’m having a hard time finding one,” Harlan County coach Amos McCreary said. “They are big and strong and have enough speed.”
Corbin has rolled through 10 opponents, outscoring them 406-115, including shutouts each of the past four weeks.
The Redhounds have featured a strong passing attack led by sophomore quarterback Kade Elam, who has completed 115 of 156 passes for 1,695 yards with 21 touchdowns and three interceptions. Carter Stewart is the leader in receptions with 38 for 767 yards. Brody Wells has 19 catches, while Eli Pietrowski and Cameron Combs have added 14 each. Combs leads in rushing with 818 yards and nine touchdowns. Elam has 328 yards and 10 touchdowns.
“If we can take some time off the clock, it would help. They are scoring in chunks and hard to slow down,” McCreary said. “Our kids just have to play as hard as they can. You never know. The ball may bounce our way. They will throw it a lot. If we can pick some of those off, maybe the game will slow down.”
Jonah Swanner has provided a spark for the HCHS offense since taking over at quarterback, rushing for 122 yards last week against Belll County. Thomas Jordan provides another threat in the backfield with 1,034 yards rushing and 14 touchdowns.
Josh Sergent has led the Harlan County defense with 111 tackles. Dallas Sergent is second with 80.