Lady Dragons transform turnovers into layups on the way to rout of Williamsburg

Jon Dickenson

Harlan guard Emma Owens went in for two of her 17 points in the Lady Dragons’ 78-44 win over Williamsburg.

Not yet where they want to be running a halfcourt offense only two games into the 2023 season, the Harlan Lady Dragons found a better way to score Friday against visiting Williamsburg.
The Lady Dragons forced 30 turnovers, leading to countless baskets in transition on the way to a 78-44 victory.
“When you can get your hands on as many balls as that it allows you to get into transition. Halfcourt offense is one of the things we typically get better at as the season progresses, so pickup and transition drills can lead to easy buckets early in the season,” Harlan coach Tiffany Hamm Rowe said.
Sophomore guard Kylie Noe scored 26 points to lead the 1-1 Lady Dragons. Aymanni Wynn and Emma Owens added 17 points each, while Peighton Jones added 12 on a breakout six-of-eight shooting performance.
“I told Peighton at halftime that she had taken six shots, which is probably the most she has ever taken. I think that was a direct correlation to us winning because we always trying to get her to shoot the ball,” Rowe said. “If we can get four or five in doubles figures like tonight we’ll be in good shape.”
Junior center Allie Wilson scored 21 points to pace Williamsburg (1-1).
The Lady Dragons turned 13 Williamsburg turnovers in the first quarter into 20 shots, twice the number of the Lady Jackets. Owens had three layups in transition in the quarter as Harlan raced to a 27-12 lead. Noe also had three baskets in the opening quarter, while Jones added two.
Wynn and Noe each had three baskets in the second quarter as Harlan hit 10 of 18 shots to extend its lead to 50-22 by halftime with the help of eight more Williamsburg turnovers.
Wilson and Maddy Hopkins had the first two baskets of the second half, but Harlan answered with 9-0 run sparked by Noe. Owens’ basket with 3:15 left in the third quarter extended the lead to 36 and started a running clock. Harlan’s lead grew to 72-30 going into the final period as Noe had three more baskets while Wynn, Owens and Jones added two each.
Harlan returns to action Monday at Knox Central. Williamsburg plays at Burgin on Saturday.
———
Maddy Hopkins poured in 24 points as Williamsburg edged Harlan 37-35 in junior varsity action.
Abbi Fields paced the 0-2 Lady Dragons with nine points. Raegan Goodman scored eight, followed by Addison Campbell with six, Annie Hoskins with five, Shelby Doan with four and Gracie Hensley with three.

Harlan sophomore guard Kylie Noe worked around Williamsburg’s Natalie Rickett on Friday. Noe scored 26 points in the Lady Dragons’ 78-44 win. (Jon Dickenson)