Green Dragons run past Lynn Camp and into All ‘A’ semifinals

Jon Dickenson

Harlan senior center Will Austin had 16 points and 12 rebounds on Saturday as the Green Dragons overpowered Lynn Camp 82-48.

BARBOURVILLE — With three straight 13th Region All “A” Classic championships to their credit, the Harlan Green Dragons appeared armed and ready for a fourth on Saturday afternoon as they blitzed Lynn Camp 82-48 in a first-round game that was never in doubt.
As they have done several times in racing to a 13-2 start this season, the Green Dragons overpowered an opponent in transition and on the boards, forcing 21 turnovers while winning the rebound battle 35-25, leading to 23 more shots than the Wildcats.
“We’ve been consistent all year with our energy and intensity,” Harlan coach Derrick Akal said. “I was happy with the amount of shots we got up. At the pace we play at, I thought we’d be OK if we did that even if we didn’t hit a really high percentage.”
Harlan also continued its season-long trend of balance on the offensive end. Junior guard Kyler McLendon scored 22 points despite having an off-night from the 3-point line. Kaleb McLendon hit six 3-pointers in a 20-point night. Will Austin hit seven-of-11 shots in a 16-point, 12-rebound night. Trenton Cole added four 3-pointers and 12 points. Jaedyn Gist contributed 10 points and seven rebounds.
Senior guard Micah Engle scored 20 to lead the 4-10 Wildcats, but was held three baskets through the first three quarters as he was the focus of the Harlan defense. Duane Sparks and Ethan Burd added 12 points each.
“We wanted to get the ball out of Micah’s hands,” Akal said. “I’ve said before that he’s one of the most talented players in the region. Talent wise, he’s one of the best we’ve played against this year.”
Harlan will face Barbourville in the second semifinal on Monday. Pineville will take on Jackson County in the opening semifinal game at 6 p.m.

Barbourville 81, Oneida Baptist 40

Barbourville blew the final game of the day open in the second quarter, outscoring Oneida Baptist 25-4 on the way to an 81-40 victory.
Senior guards Matthew Warren and Travis Scott scored 25 and 22 points, respectively, to lead the Tigers. Ethan Smith chipped in with 11.
Canaan Tyree led the Mountaineers with 18 points.
———
Barbourville (81) — Ty Clark 4, Matthew Warren 26, Ethan Smith 11, Travis Scott 22, Jacob Lundy 4, Ethan Fisher 4, Riley Corey 5, Jasper Hubbs 3, Dalton Alsip 2.
Oneida Baptist (40) — Canaan Tyree 18, Daniel Etokwudo 8, Jacob Rogers 6, Andre Collett 2, Wyatt Smith 2, Tommy Branstetter 4.

Oneida Baptist 14 4 11 11 — 40
Barbourvile 24 25 19 13 — 81

Pineville 73, Middlesboro 67

Middlesboro pulled within one heading into the fourth quarter with an 8-0 run, but Pineville reclaimed control in the fourth quarter on the way to a 73-67 victory in a quarterfinal game at the 13th Region All “A” Classic.
Sawyer Thompson scored 25 points to lead the 9-3 Mountain Lions. Ashton Moser added 22.
The 3-11 Yellow Jackets were led by Brayden Barnard with 20 points. Jerimah Beck and Trey King added 15 and 14 points, respectively. Middlesboro played without junior guard Cayden Grigsby, who has reportedly left in the team.
———
Pineville (73) — Sawyer Thompson 25, Ashton Moser 22, Ashton Burns 2, Evan Biliter 9, Sam Caldwell 7, Dylan Abner 3, Logunn Littles 5.
Middlesboro (67) — Brayden Barnard 20, Jerimah Beck 15, Ashton Osborne 8, Joseph Killion 5, Trey King 14, Trey Kyle 4, Richie Logan 1.
———
Pineville 14 22 13 24 — 73
Middlesboro 13 16 19 19 — 67

Jackson County 52, Williamsburg 48

Jude Lakes and Tydus Summer hit two free throws each in the final 20 seconds to lift Jackson County past Williamsburg 52-48 in a hard-fought opening quarterfinal game on Saturday afternoon in the 13th Region All “A” Classic at Barbourville High School.
Lakes scored 14 and Summers added 13 to lead the Generals, who advance to Monday’s semifinals against the winner of the Pineville-Middlesboro game.
The Yellow Jackets were led by sophomore guard Jerrod Roark with 19 points and seventh-grade guard Ryder Akins with 10.
The game was close throughout with Jackson County up 15-9 after one quarter before Williamsburg fought back to pull within one, at 22-21, at halftime. Jackson County took a 34-33 lead into the fourth quarter. Keagan Ward’s basket extended the Generals’ lead to three with a minute left, then Ashton Clemmons came up with the defensive play of the game as he stole the ball with 20 seconds left and the lead at two.
———
Jackson County (52) — Jude Lakes 14, Tydus Summers 13, Carter Cunagin 8, Keagan Ward 9, Ashton Clemmons 5, Jameson Marcum 3.
Williamsburg (48) — Henry Bowling 7, Jerrod Roark 19, Ryder Akins 10, Andrew Smith 2, Connor Lay 3, Cooper Prewitt 4, Cade Hatcher 3.

Williamsburg 9 12 12 15 — 48
Jackson County 15 7 12 18 — 52