Four Lady Dragons reach double figures in win over Middlesboro

Jon Dickenson

Harlan’s Aymanni Wynn worked on defense against Middlesboro guard Morgan Martin. Wynn scored 17 points in the Lady Dragons’ 62-41 victory.

The third time was no charm for the visiting Middlesboro Lady Jackets on Friday as they fell to Harlan for the third time this season.
Four Lady Dragons reached double figures in a 62-41 victory that improved their record to 8-10 overall and 2-1 in the 52nd District. Sophomore guards Aymanni Wynn and Kylie Noe scored 17 and 16 points, respectively. Emma Owens tossed in 13, while Leah Davis added 11.
The 3-14 Lady Jackets were led by sophomore guard Keevi Betts with 18 points.
Harlan scored the game’s first 11 points, led by two baskets from Owens, and led 18-6 by the end of the quarter.
Owens had two baskets in the second quarter as both teams struggled offensively with Harlan extending its lead to 27-11 by halftime despite missing 11 of 15 shots.
With Wynn hitting four of four shots, Harlan took control in the third quarter and stretched its advantage to 50-25. The Lady Dragons hit eight of 13 shots in the quarter.
Noe and Davis each had two baskets in the fourth quarter while Betts had four of five baskets for the Lady Jackets. Noe reached the 1,000-point mark for her career with a basket at the 4:24 mark before adding two free throws on the next trip before the starters went to the bench. Noe has 985 points in three years at Harlan but also scored 18 in parts of two seasons at Harlan County High School.
Harlan will play host to Letcher Central on Tuesday. Middlesboro travels to Bell County on Friday.