Shepherd tosses no-hitter, drives in six as Lady Bears pound Barbourville

Kim Henson

Harlan County’s Halanah Shepherd slid home to complete an inside-the-park homer on Monday in the Lady Bears’ 17-0 win over visiting Barbourville. Shepherd pitched a no-hitter and drove in six runs.

Losers of five of their last six after a spring break trip to Myrtle Beach, the Harlan County Lady Bears were happy to be back home and played like it in a 17-0 three-inning rout of visiting Barbourville on Monday.
Freshman Halanah Shepherd pitched a no-hitter while driving in six runs with an inside-the-park homer, a triple and single. Rylie Maggard tripled twice and drove in three runs. Madison Blair and Jade Burton each had a triple and single. Hailey Austin, Jenna Wilson and Lesleigh Brown added one single each.
Shepherd struck out five and walked three as she earned the win in the circle.
“Halanah hasn’t stepped on the mound in a game since early last season until Myrtle Beach last week. She stepped up tonight and went to work,” Harlan County coach Shelby Burton said. “Halanah was very comfortable on the mound and proved that she’s willing to do whatever she’s expected to do for her team. I don’t think people truly realize what this kid brings to our program at HC. She’s one you definitely want to keep your eye on in the years to come.”
Harlan County returns to action Tuesday at home against South Laurel and will play host to Bell County on Thursday and Lynn Camp in a Friday doubleheader.
———
Barbourville 000 — 0 0. 5
Harlan County 3(14) — 17. 12. 0
McDonald and Bryant; Shepherd and Burton. WP — Shepherd (1-1). LP — McDonald.