Strong senior season helps Dixon move on to next level at Alice Lloyd

Eugene Farmer

Harlan County senior pitcher Karsten Dixon signed with Alice Lloyd College on Monday to continue his academic/athletic career. Pictured with Dixon are, from left, front row: Lenora Dixon, Melvin Dixon and Alice Lloyd coach Scott Cornett; back row: Jerry Edwards, Harlan County coach Scott Bailey, Wilma Fields, HCHS Principal Kathy Napier and trainer Chad Longworth.

As a three-sport player at Harlan County High School, Scotty Bailey capped his prep career by signing with the University of the Cumberlands where he played football and baseball.
Now as the baseball coach at his alma mater, Bailey wants to send as many of his players as possible to the next level. The first came Monday when senior pitcher Karsten Dixon signed with Alice Lloyd College.
“Karsten is my first kid I’ve had to go sign and play at the next level, and I hope he paves the way for a lot more, I hope he’s the first of many,” Bailey said. “I’m very proud of Karsten. When I first took over the program, he was always the first one I saw at the field and he would be the last as well. He’s one of the hardest working kids I’ve ever coached and for him to get an opportunity at the next level is awesome.”
Dixon is a five-year member of the HCHS baseball program but saved his best for last, posting a 4-1 mark to this point. The highlight of his season was a 9-8 12-inning win over Harlan when he shut out the Dragons over the final 2 1/3 innings on one hit.
“He’s battled a ton of adversity all year, but he’s put the team first and really helped us, especially in a huge spot in a district game when he came in and won us the game against Harlan on the mound in the 11th and 12th innings. I think it was a huge spot for him and his confidence,” Bailey said. “I’m really excited to watch how he grows at the next level.”
“My time at HCHS was great,” Dixon said. “I would like to thank all three coaches I had — coaches (Drew) Chamberlain, (John) Lewis and (Scotty) Bailey for the opportunities they gave me, for believing in me, and not letting me give up. I want to thank God because He’s the reason I’m even here and got these opportunities.”\
Dixon has been especially pleased with his senior season as the Bears earned the top seed in next week’s 52nd District Tournament with a 6-0 mark.
“This year, I’ve really felt that I’ve bore the fruits of my labor — all of the early morning and late night workouts, the throwing sessions, you name it,” he said. “This year has felt the most rewarding.”
Dixon started to receive some attention after a couple of strong performance at midseason.
“We like how he throws the ball and are excited about him pitching for us,” Alice Lloyd coach Scott Cornett said. “We feel like he has a good upside for the future.”
“I picked Alice Lloyd because it was the college that made me feel most at home,” he said. “When I first stepped on the campus for a visit, it felt like that is where I needed to be.”
Alice Lloyd posted a 15-35 record this season, including a 3-24 mark in River States Conference play.