Bears close with 10-0 run to edge Corbin in summer showdown

John Henson

Harlan County senior guard Trent Noah raced past Corbin’s Noah Cima in scrimmage action Tuesday. Noah scored 21 points in a 72-64 win over Corbin and 34 points in a 93-64 victory over Barbourville.

CORBIN — In a showdown between the two teams likely to be ranked as the top two teams in the 13th Region next season, Harlan County and Corbin squared off Tuesday in a summer scrimmage that felt more like a regular season game.
The game was close all the way and the Hounds were up by two with just over two minutes left before the Bears closed with 10 straight points to win 72-64. Maddox Huff put the Bears ahead with a 3, then Caleb Johnson followed with a trey for a four-point lead. After a Jaycee Carter steal, Reggie Cottrell put the game away with a 3.
Huff hit seven 3-pointers and finished with 26 points to lead the Bears. Trent Noah scored 21 points. Carter finished with 11 points. Johnson scored nine, followed by Cottrell with five.
Harlan County took control early in a 93-64 rout of Barbourville in the Bears’ second varsity scrimmage at Corbin. Noah poured in 34 points, followed by Huff with 24, Carter with 18, Cottrell with six, Napier with five and Brennan Blevins with two.
Noah carried Harlan County in the first half with eight baskets and 20 points. Huff had five baskets and 12 points. Carter dominated the second half with six baskets. Noah and Huff added five and four baskets, respectively.
The 7-0 Bears return to action Wednesday at Whitley County.
Harlan County fell to Corbin 54-33 in junior varsity action.
———
The Harlan County Lady Bears opened their summer schedule Tuesday with a 59-38 victory at Pineville. Harlan County won 47-30 in junior varsity action.

Harlan County guard Maddox Huff worked through the Barbourville defense during the Bears’ 93-64 victory. Huff scored 26 points against Corbin and 24 against Barbourville as the Bears improved to 7-0 on the summer. (John Henson)
Harlan County sophomore guard Reggie Cottrell sailed to the basket during the Bears’ summer scrimmage win over Barbourville on Tuesday. (John Henson)