Lewis receives national honor for record-breaking run

Alice Lloyd College’s Alex Lewis has been named NCCAA Men’s Division II Cross Country National Student-Athlete of the Week

A record-breaking week for former Harlan County cross country star Alex Lewis got even better on Tuesday when he was named student-athlete of the week by the National Christian College Athletic Association.
Lewis broke Alice Lloyd’s program record with a time of 27:38 to finish 11th in a field of 84 runners at the Greater Louisville Classic.

Alex Lewis

“I’m just thankful and blessed to be able to run and work hard and be surrounded by great coaches and teammates,’ said Lewis, a junior pre-engineer major.
Lewis helped lead Harlan County to multiple cross country regional titles before moving on to the next level. Former HCHS teammates Sean Cooper and Josh Lee are also members of the Alice Lloyd program.
“What an accomplishment for Alex,” Harlan County coach Ryan Vitatoe said. “I’m so proud of him, but I’m not the least bit surprised. He trained so hard this summer. He was at the track putting in work every single evening. Hard work pays off.”

“Alex is one of the most dedicated runners that our program has ever seen. He is exactly what a coach looks for in an athlete. He wants to get better every day, and he puts in the work to do so. He does the right things in and out of the classroom and practice. I don’t have to worry about him getting in trouble,” Alice Lloyd coach Brandon Arnold said. “He is also one of three captains on our men’s side and has done a great job of that. He is leading by example and is serving as a mentor to our freshman. His goal is to be an All-American, and I have no doubts that he will succeed. I expect big things out of him, our men’s program and women’s program this year.”

Former Harlan County standout Alex Lewis broke Alice Lloyd’s program record with a time of 27:38 to finish 11th in a field of 84 runners at the Greater Louisville Classic