Bentley powers Cougars to victory over Lee

Ernie Sexton

Bodie Bentley went in for two of his 28 points on Tuesday in Letcher Central’s 76-72 win over Lee County.

By John Henson, Sports Writer

Letcher Central let a win slip away in its opening game Monday at East Ridge. The Cougars were able to finish in their home opener Tuesday with a hard-fought 76-72 victory over Lee County.
“We’re still finding our identity on both ends. We’re fortunate to come away with a win but also know there is a lot of work ahead to fulfill our full potential,” Letcher Central coach Winston Lee said. “We’ve got to do a better job defensively. Again, it was good experience to edge out a close one. It was a great effort by a scrappy and talented Lee County team. I’m looking forward to continuing the process with our guys. I also want to thank all Letcher Central faculty and staff that helped host a safe environment for our home opener.”
Junior guard Bodie Bentley poured in 28 points and added a team-high five rebounds to lead the Cougars. Senior forward Joby Johnson scored 14. Junior guard Nigel Nichols added 12.
Sophomore guard Zach Watterson scored 33 to lead the 0-2 Bobcats. Keagan Wilder added 18 points.
The Cougars return to action Saturday at home against Harlan County.