HC’s Noah drawing early interest from several Division I schools

Liberty coach visits HCHS practice to watch standout sophomore guard

Les Nicholson

Harlan County guard Trent Noah, pictured in action during the 2020 regional finals, is drawing interested from several Division I schools heading into his sophomore season with the Black Bears.

“Trent has worked extremely hard and deserves all the attention that comes his way. This is just the tip of the iceberg regarding his recruitment.

— Harlan County coach Michael Jones

As the first eighth-grader to earn a starting job with the Harlan County boys basketball program two years ago, it was clear very early in his career that Trent Noah had a bright future ahead of him.
Noah, now a 6-foot-6 sophomore ranked among the top five players in Kentucky in the Class of 2024, is drawing Division I interest. Liberty assistant coach Joe Pierre was in town last week to watch Noah during an HCHS practice.
“It’s exciting for the program and school anytime you can have a Division 1 coach come to watch practice,” said HCHS coach Michael Jones, who talked with Pierre during the practice. “Liberty has an outstanding program, and Trent is at the ‘top’ of their ‘big board.’
Liberty is entering its fourth season in the Atlantic Sun Conference (which also includes Eastern Kentucky University) and has won three straight league titles and is the favorite again this season, recently receiving 30 of 32 first-place votes in a media poll.
Noah visited the University of Central Florida over the weekend and watched the football Knights defeat Memphis on Friday night and then took a tour of the campus on Saturday.
“Trent was impressed with his initial visit to Central Florida, and looks forward to hearing from them regarding his future,” Jones said. “Trent has all the tools and talent to play Division 1. He continues to work hard every day to make that dream a reality.
Noah moved into the starting lineup at HCHS as an eighth-grader and helped lead the Bears to a 24-11 record and the 13th Region finals as he averaged 11.8 points and five rebounds per game.
In leading the Bears to a 19-6 record last season, Noah averaged 20.2 points and 9.8 rebounds per game and earned a ranking as one of the 13th Region’s top players.
“Trent has worked extremely hard and deserves all the attention that comes his way. This is just the tip of the iceberg regarding his recruitment,” Jones said. “South Carolina called me over the weekend wanting to get him down on campus soon and will be making a trip to come watch practice in the future. I talked to a coach from Texas Tech about him yesterday.”