Harlan County’s Casolari wins season-opening tourney in Middlesboro

Harlan County freshman Brayden Casolari was the medalist in the season-opening tournament Thursday at Middlesboro.

Harlan County freshman Brayden Casolari was the medalist in the season-opening tournament Thursday at Middlesboro as he shot a 38, two strokes ahead of Middlesboro’s Garrison Warren and three strokes ahead of Lane Bayless, also of Middlesboro.
Middlesboro won the team competition with a 170, 10 strokes ahead of Harlan County. Bell was third at 204 and Knox Central was fourth at 249.
“My guys are a bit disappointed with our finish tonight, but I told them to be patient. We’ve had one full practice and the weather has been horrendous. Middlesboro Country Club was a bit rough and difficult to play in places. Their players did what they were supposed to and took advantage of their home course,” Harlan County coach Greg Lewis said. “We were playing with tired legs and not a full lineup. A second-place finish is a positive at this point in our season.”
Harlan County eighth-grader Cole Cornett was fourth overall with a 42. Harlan County’s Matt Lewis and Harlan’s Aiden Johnson tied for sixth at 45. Harlan County’s Evan Simpson shot a 55 and Harlan’s Kevin Thomas Lee finished with a 60.
“We greatly exceeded any expectations we could have had last year with two wins and five second-place finishes. As soon as we get the opportunity to get some work in on the course and get our full lineup out here we will really start putting up some great numbers,” Lewis said. “My guys played well but it seems like every time we missed a shot it ended up in the worst possible place. This course may be the place where home course knowledge matters more than anywhere we will play this year. We will be ready when we get back out there Tuesday at Wasioto.”
———
Harlan County’s Matt Lewis was a winner last week in a tournament at the Three Ridges Golf Course in Knoxville hosted by Union County High School in Tennessee. Lewis shot a 40 and Union County’s Ayden Barton shot a 48 for second place.
“Matt battled some of the toughest conditions we’ve had on a course in a long time,” Greg Lewis said. “The winds were gusting and swirling in all different directions. Matt drove the ball incredibly well and his short game was stellar as usual.”