Lady Dragons snap skid with late run at Williamsburg

John Henson

Harlan’s Kylie Noe pressured Williamsburg center Allie Wilson in Monday’s game. Noe scored 36 points in the Lady Dragons’ 70-64 victory.

Down two starters and riding a three-game losing streak, the Harlan Lady Dragons found themselves at a turning point facing a six-point deficit with five minutes left Monday at Williamsburg.
The Lady Dragons made several crucial defensive stops and converted on the offensive end with a 15-3 run to end the game on the way to a 70-64 victory.
“We’ve lost a lot of close games and we’ve talked about making winning plays,” Harlan coach Tiffany Hamm Rowe said. “We did that the last two or three minutes with stops, hitting shots and making our free throws. We did all those the last two minutes. In the first half, some of our younger kids guarded their better players to help keep our older players out of foul trouble. It paid off tonight.”
Sophomore guard Kylie Noe poured in 36 points to lead the 11-17 Lady Dragons, hitting eight straight shots at one point. Junior guard Emma Owens added 15 points.
The Lady Dragons played without sophomore Aymanni Wynn and sophomore forward Leah Davis. Rowe said Wynn would begin practicing again tomorrow and could play against Harlan County in the 52nd District Tournament on Monday. Davis is schedule for an MRI on Tuesday, so her status is uncertain.
“We’re trying to get healthy for the district tournament,” Rowe said. “It may be a blessing in disguise because some of our younger players are getting experience. I hope we can get everybody and play our best next week.”
Sophomore wing Maddy Hopkins scored 31 points and junior center Allie Wilson added 21 for the 10-17 Lady Jackets.
There were nine lead changes in the opening quarter as neither team led by more than three. Wilson had three baskets to help Williamsburg take an 18-15 lead.
Noe had five baskets in the second quarter, but Hopkins answered with three baskets, including two 3-pointers, as the Lady Jackets took a 35-32 lead into the break.
Three baskets by Noe and a pair of 3-pointers from Addison Jackson helped Harlan pull even at 50 in the final minute of the third quarter before a basket by Zoie Brown to close the period put the Lady Jackets up 52-50.
Williamsburg led 61-55 when Noe and Owens led the late charge. Two free throws by Noe pulled Harlan even with 1:11 left, then Owens scored off a steal to put Harlan ahead to stay. Owens closed out the game with four straight free throws.

— — —

The Harlan Lady Dragons dropped games to Whitley County and McCreary Central over the weekend.
Sophomore guard Megan Loudermilk poured in 17 points and junior guard Kennedy Creekmore added 15 as McCreary Central defeated visiting Harlan 68-42 on Saturday. The Lady Raiders also got 12 points from senior Kaylee Chitwood and 10 points from seventh-grader Maylee Creekmore.
Kylie Noe paced Harlan with 21 points and six rebounds. Emma Owens scored 16. Raegan Goodman and Addison Jackson added three and two points, respectively.
McCreary Central took a 20-12 advantage after one quarter, led 36-26 at halftime and went into the final quarter leading 51-34.
The Lady Dragons shot 30 percent from the field on 16 of 53 shooting.
The 15-13 Lady Raiders will visit Casey County and host Williamsburg this week.
— — —
Eighth-grade guard Khylea Ray Collier fired in 29 points on Friday as Whitley County claimed a 63-55 win over the Lady Dragons.
Jonna Rice scored 15 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for Whitley County. Alba Castillo Lopez finished with 12 points and 11 boards.
The Lady Colonels were 22 of 53 from the floor for 42 percent, and connected on 14 of 18 free throws.
Owens led the Lady Dragons with 21 points. Noe followed with 15. Peyshaunce Wynn and Addison Jackson each scored five.Annie Hoskins and Peighton Jones added four apiece while Goodman tossed in one.
Harlan shot 36 percent from the floor on 20 of 56, missing 17 of 20 3-pointers, but connected on 12 of 16 free throws.
The Lady Dragons pulled down 31 rebounds. Noe and Jackson each had six. Hoskins grabbed five.
Whitley County jumped out to a 17-12 advantage after eight minutes and stretched the lead to 34-18 at halftime.
Noe and Owens each scored six points as the Lady Dragons cut the deficit to 45-35 at the end of the third period.
Harlan outscored the Lady Colonels 20-16 in the final quarter as Noe poured in nine and Owens scored seven.

WIlliamsburg’s Maddy Hopkins tried to work around Harlan guard Emma Owens in Monday’s game. Hopkins scored 31 points in the Lady Jackets’ 70-64 loss. (John Henson)
Harlan sophomore guard Kylie Noe went up for two of her 36 poins in the Lady Dragons’ 70-64 win Monday at Williamsburg. (John Henson)