Four HCHS track standouts sign with University of the Cumberlands

John Henson

Four Harlan County High School track standouts signed with the University of the Cumberlands on Thursday, including Austin Crain, Taylor Lunsford, Gavon Spurlock and Andrew Yeary. HCHS coaches include Miranda Epperson, Ryan Vitatoe and Baili Bailey.

Harlan County High School track athletes signing college scholarships has become a common occurrence in the 10 years that Ryan Vitatoe has led the program.
Four in one afternoon, however, is unusual, even for Vitatoe and his Bears. University of the Cumberlands coach Bradley Sowder was at HCHS on Thursday to add Andrew Yeary, Taylor Lunsford, Gaven Spurlock and Austin Crain to his program.
“I can’t express how happy I am for these four kids. I’ve had the opportunity to watch them grow up in this program as they all started as junior high athletes. Today we celebrated the opportunity their hard work has earned for them,” Vitatoe said. “(Cumberlands) Coach (Bradley) Sowder has built a great program at UC, and each of these four kids will be great building blocks for them. They are coming from a program that prepares them for the work expectations to be successful, they have great attitudes, work ethics, and the discipline necessary to be successful. We have been fortunate to have them as part of our program and I’m really happy for them and their families.
“All four of them have the ability to compete in several events, which makes them even more valuable for our program,” Sowder said. “We want to work with all of them in all parts of track and field.
Taylor Lunsford, who finished third in the state in the shot put each of the past two years, follows a family tradition in track. Her grandfather, Bob Howard, started the cross country program at Evarts and led the Lady Cats to several regional titles in track. Her mom, Paige Lunsford, was a cross country and track star at Evarts in the 1990s.
“Taylor has been so consistent during her time in our program,” Vitatoe said. “It’s no secret that this sport is in her blood, and she has lived up to expectations. She’s a hard worker and has all the tools necessary to succeed at the next level.”
“As soon as I stepped foot on the campus, I knew that it was going to be where I spent the next four years,” Lunsford said. “I’m going to major in exercise science, then go into physical therapy school. I’m excited and ready for this next chapter in my life.”
Andrew Yeary follows his brother, Matthew, to the Cumberlands program. He is ranked in the state’s top 10 in Class 2A in the 800 and was a member of 4×800 and 4 x 1,600 relay teams in last year’s state tournament, as well as the 800.
“Andrew has also grown up in our program. He’s really turned the corner this year and has established himself as one of the top runners in the state of Kentucky after a tremendous fall and spring season. He’s only scratched the surface of his potential, and I’m excited to see his growth,” Vitatoe said.
“It’s great to have this opportunity to continue my athletic and academic career at the University of the Cumberlands,” Yeary said. “Coach Sowder has been an amazing help throughout this entire process. I would like to thank my amazing coaching staff at Harlan County High School for putting me in a position to succeed and giving me the guidance I need to become a collegiate runner. My family and friends have given me the encouragement to push myself academically and athletically, and I mainly thank God for a healthy and successful track career that led me to the Cumberlands. This was all possible through the efforts of coach Ryan Vitatoe, who believed in me when no one else did and put up with me when no one else would.”
Gavon Spurlock was a state qualifier in the long jump, triple jump and high jump before being sidelined this year with a knee injury.
“Gavon has had an incredible career with us. I hate that it’s been cut short, but his resume speaks for itself,” Vitatoe said. “He’s one of the best to ever do it here, and it’s been such a pleasure to watch his development. He’s been with us since seventh grade and has come a long way. I’m really proud of him and I know he’ll do great next year.”
“I wanted to visit the University of the Cumberlands because they offered the doctor of physical therapy program, which is the career path that I have chosen. When I went to visit the campus it felt like it was at home, then when coach Sowder reached out to me and offered me a opportunity to be a part of the Patriot track and field program I knew then it was the college for me. What an awesome opportunity to get a great education while doing the thing I love most, track and field,” Spurlock said.
Austin Crain has been a state qualifier the past two years in the 4×400 and 4×800 relay events.
“I was blessed with the opportunity today to sign my letter of intent with the University of the Cumberlands and extend my running career,” Crain said. “I chose UC because of the small class sizes and one-on-one connections that makes the campus a perfect fit for me. The wonderful coaching and admission staff being so willing to help made this an easy decision as well. I’m excited to see what the future holds for me and my teammates.”
“Austin is another kid who has grown up in our program,” Vitatoe said. “He’s been in about every distance event we offer, and he’s transitioned into a sprinter/distance hybrid as a senior. He’s so versatile and willing to do whatever helps his team. He has every tool needed to develop into a great athlete at the next level and has the attitude to match them. I’m really proud of him.”