HCHS boys place second, girls take third in Cardinal Classic

Harlan County’s Jonavan Rigney competed in a race earlier this season. RIgney teame with Gage Bailey, Christopher Johnson and Caleb Schwenke to finish seventh in the 4 x 800 relay at South Laurel High School in the Cardinal Classic.

By Abby Sherman, Contributing Writer

The Harlan County track team traveled to South Laurel on Friday to compete in the Cardinal Classic. The boys placed second overall with 121 points. Corbin won the meet with 194 points. The girls were third overall with 122 points, right behind South Laurel (135) and Corbin (137).

“I’m very proud of our kids tonight in another talented field of teams. We had some big performances by both squads and we battled until the end,” HC coach Ryan Vitatoe said. “Again, these types of meets are what prepare you for region. We’ll improve from this and get better.”

Luke Kelly led the Bears, placing second in the 200-meter dash and third in the 100-meter dash. Andrew Yeary finished second in the 800-meter run. Tanner Daniels was second in the 3,200-meter run and third in the 1,600-meter run. Dallas Sergent placed second in the 110- and 300-meter hurdles. Connor Blevins was second in shot put and third in discus.

Bryan Howard placed ninth in the 200-meter dash.

In the 400-meter dash, Hunter Crain finished third, immediately followed by Jacob Schwenke and Kyle Farley. Bryan Howard placed seventh.

Jacob Schwenke finished tenth in the 800-meter run.

In the 3,200-meter run, Drew Sergent was tenth.

Brayden Howard placed ninth in the 110-meter hurdles and eighth in the 300-meter hurdles.

Bryan Howard was sixth in long jump.

Brayden Howard placed fifth in triple jump.

In pole vault, Jayce Brown was third, while Bradley Brock placed eighth.

Jacob Shoemaker was 10th in shot put and ninth in discus.

In the 4 x 100 meter relay, Hunter Crain, Taelor Haywood, Kelly and Dallas Sergent finished third.

Austin Crain, Hunter Crain, Kelly and Dallas Sergent placed fourth in the 4 x 200 meter relay.

Hunter Crain, Austin Crain, Jacob Schwenke and Yeary finished second in the 4 x 400 meter relay, breaking the record they set in HC’s previous meet.

Gage Bailey, Farley, Ethan Simpson and Jeremiah Allen were sixth in the 4 x 400 meter relay.

In the 4 x 800 meter relay, Farley, Jacob Schwenke, Yeary and Austin Crain placed third. Bailey, Jonavan Rigney, Christopher Johnson and Caleb Schwenke finished seventh.

“We had the school record fall in the 4 x 400 for the second straight meet. Andrew, Austin, Hunter and Jacob are on fire right now and are establishing themselves as a formidable team at the state level,” Vitatoe said.

“Andrew turned in a huge race in the 800 bring the second to ever go under 2:00 in school history. Tanner had a huge 2 mile with a great time, and I was really proud of Drew Sergent in the 3,200 as well. Connor had a big night as well. We have so many guys who had big meets. Shoemaker had big throws. We had a big night, but we still have a lot of work to do to gain ground in our region.”

Madison Daniels led the Lady Bears, placing first in pole vault and ninth in long jump.

In the 100-meter dash, Ella Karst finished second, while Emilee Eldridge was tenth.

Karst was second in the 200-meter dash.

Addi Gray placed ninth in the 400-meter dash.

In the 800-meter run, Peyton Lunsford finished third. Preslee Hensley placed eighth.

Peyton Lunsford was third in the 1,600-meter run. Lauren Lewis finished seventh.

In the 3,200-meter run, Peyton Lunsford and Lewis were second and third, respectively. Gracie Roberts placed sixth, while Charli Shepherd was ninth.

Paige Phillips was second in the 100-meter hurdles. Heaven Hensley was ninth, immediately followed by Ashton Evans.

Phillips placed fourth in the 300-meter hurdles. Heaven Hensley was seventh, while Evans placed ninth.

Heaven Hensley placed tenth in long jump.

In high jump, Phillips and Hailie Hensley were ninth and tenth, respectively.

Phillips was eighth in triple jump. Hailie Hensley placed ninth.

Taylor Clem was second in pole vault.

Taylor Lunsford placed second in shot put and sixth in discus.

Aliyah Deleon, Eldridge, Karst and Taytum Griffin won the 4 x 100 meter relay and placed third in the 4 x 200 meter relay.

In the 4 x 400 meter relay, Deleon, Gray, Hensley and Brianna Howard finished third.

Gray, Lewis, Peyton Lunsford and Hensley were second in the 4 x 800 meter relay. Gracie Roberts, Kiera Roberts, Shepherd and Autumn Farley placed fifth.

“The girls were solid tonight as well. The 4 x 100 picked up a nice win and our 4 x 800 girls are rapidly climbing in the state rankings as well,” Vitatoe said. “We had some young girls have big performances as well. Hailie Hensley had a big night in the high jump, and Lauren and Peyton did great in the 3,200. Ella had another big night.

“Our teams are improving. We’ve had so many injuries to key people on both sides, some of which are season ending, and our kids keep scraping and fighting. I’m really proud of all these kids. They understand what it means to compete for Harlan County and they bring it every night. We have such a talented group of young kids too. The future is bright.”

HC will return to action Tuesday for an all-comers meet at Boyle County.