Wynn, Noe lead comeback as Harlan closes regular season with win at Red Bird.

John Henson

Harlan’s Emma Owens guarded Red Bird’s Liberty Taylor in Tuesday’s game. The Lady Dragons overcame a slow start to win 60-43.

BEVERLY — Long, strong and athletic, freshman Aymanni Wynn and eighth-grader Kylie Noe have given Harlan one of the 13th Region’s best young tandems over the last month of the 2021 season. The two were the difference once again Tuesday as the Lady Dragons overcame an ugly start to defeat Red Bird 60-43.
Wynn led the 8-14 Lady Dragons with a 23-point, 13-rebound effort. Noe added 17 points.
Red Bird (6-15) was led by junior guard Alyssa Gibson with 25 points.
Gibson, one of the region’s leading scorers, was on fire early while Harlan was sleepwalking through the opening quarter. Gibson hit three 3-pointers and scored 12 points as the Lady Cardinals built an 18-6 lead.
Harlan slowly came to life in the second quarter, led by four baskets from Faith Hoskins, and opened the period with a 13-run to go up 19-18. Gibson put Red Bird back on top briefly with another 3, but Wynn scored seven points in a 10-3 run to close the quarter as Harlan took a 29-24 lead into the break.
Noe took over in the third quarter, scoring five baskets in a two-minute stretch as Harlan took control. Wynn added three baskets and five rebounds in the period as the Lady Dragons built a 49-33 advantage.
Wynn had two more baskets early in the fourth quarter, including a 3-pointer, as Harlan took its biggest lead at 58-35 with 3:25 left. Red Bird’s Liberty Taylor hit two 3-pointers in an 8-2 run to close the game.
Red Bird travels to Harlan County on Thursday. The Lady Dragons will face Bell County on Monday at 6 p.m. in the 52nd District Tournament at Harlan.