Lawson will continue track career at Alice Lloyd College

John Henson

Britt Lawson IV signed Friday to continue his track career at Alice Lloyd College. Pictured with Lawson at the signing ceremony are his parents, Britt III and Shannon Lawson, and Alice Lloyd coach John Driskill.

A strong finish to his high school track career has set up a new beginning on the next level for Harlan High School senior Britt Lawson.
Lawson, who also played football for four seasons and baseball earlier this spring, will continue in track at Alice Lloyd College.
“When I went up there, coach (John) Driskill did a great job with the tour,” Lawson said. “It made me feel welcome. I applied for several scholarships at that point, so it’s got a lot of my college paid for. All I could do was thank God. The door was open and I couldn’t turn back.”
Driskill was in Harlan last week for the signing and said he had been following Lawson’s progress.
“We saw his times in MileSplit, and they were within the times we wanted,” Driskill said. “I could tell by talking to him that he had a strong work ethic, which is something we require.”
Lawson has had a strong season in the 400-meter run, finishing second in meets at Harlan County and Leslie County, fourth at Leslie County, sixth at Middlesboro and eighth at Harlan County when he set a personal record with a 57.64.
“I will probably also compete in the 4 x 100, and they may have me jump. I’m not sure,” Lawson said. “It depends on what they need.”
“We’ll see what he does in the 200 and maybe some of the other sprints and jumps,” said Driskill.
Harlan coach Trevor Fitzpatrick said Lawson has been an important part of the Dragons’ success this spring.
“I’ve had the pleasure of having Britt both as an athlete and as a student, and in both cases he’s demonstrated himself to be a hard-working and respectable young man. As an athlete, Britt has a competitiveness that is unmatched and a fearless attitude toward the work one must put in to be great,” Fitzpatrick said. :When I found out about his signing with Alice Lloyd, I was incredibly proud. Today, to have one’s tuition entirely paid for going into college is like hitting the lottery — it’s a huge deal. However, the lottery deals with luck, and the achievement Britt accomplished is something he has fittingly earned.”
Fitzpatrick is confident Lawson will continue to improve on the next level.
“I believe the character, work ethic and desire to great that Britt has developed throughout his life will not only serve him to make a great addition to the athletics and academics of Alice Lloyd, but will also undoubtedly allow him to be successful in any path he wishes to pursue in the future,” he said. “I’m already proud of the individual that Britt is, but I can’t wait to see what he becomes with his potential.”
Alice Lloyd competes in the River States Conference of NAIA and is also a member of the National Christian College Athletic Association