Bears sweep three scrimmages at Lee County

John Henson

Harlan County freshman guard Maddox Huff, pitcued in action earlier this summer, scored 15 points in a win over Lee County and 14 in a win over Whitley County in scrimmage action Friday.

BEATTYVILLE — Harlan County went for three for three in summer scrimmages Friday at Lee County High School, winning twice in varsity competition and once in junior varsity action.
Jackson Huff scored 17 points and Maddox Huff added 14 as the Bears downed Whitley County 47-42 in a hard-fought scrimmage.
Three 3-pointers by Jackson Huff gave HCHS an early lead. The Bears’ advantage grew to 30-21 by halftime.
Whitley got as close as four in the second half before Maddox Huff hit a couple of shots to put the Bears back in control.
Jeremiah Clem and Caleb Johnson added five points each. Daniel Carmical scored four. Jaycee Carter and Ethan Rhymer chipped in with one each.
Harlan County got off to a slow start against Lee County before eventually taking command on the way to a 60-33 victory.
Clem finished with 18 points to lead the Bears. Maddox Huff and Jackson Huff added 13 and 10 points, respectively. Carnival and Jared Rhymer added four and three points, respectively. Connor Daniels, Ethan Rhymer, Carter, Brody Napier and Hunter Napier scored two each.
Harlan County rolled to a 37-9 win in junior varsity action as Brody Napier led a balanced attack with nine points. Carter, Daniels and Hunter Napier added seven each. Brayden Hensley scored four. Taelor Haywood contributed three.
Harlan County, now 5-3 in varsity action, will be at home on Monday.