Jackets defeat HCHS in scrimmage

Chris Jones

Harlan County fullback Josh Sergent battled for yardage in scrimmage action Friday against visiting Middlesboro. The Jackets rolled to a 30-0 win in the controlled scrimmage.

Preseason scrimmages are designed to show teams where they need work before the regular season begins. Middlesboro sophomore quarterback Cayden Grigsby did just that for the Bears on Friday, throwing four touchdown passes in the Jackets’ 30-0 victory.
Each team ran 10 offensive plays per quarter in a scrimmage that ended after three quarters when the lights went out a second time at Coal Miners Memorial Stadium.
Grigsby had two touchdown passes in the opening possession, including a 75-yard connection with Logan Daniels for a 12-0 lead.
Harlan County moved the ball on its series as Josh Sergent and Demarco Hopkins each picked up first downs on the ground and Ethan Rhymer teamed with Jonah Swanner for a 21-yard reception. The Bears got to the Middlesboro 7 on a run by Luke Carr before the drive stalled.
Grigsby teamed with Daniels for another touchdown pass and the Jackets also had a touchdown running for a 24-0 halftime lead.
Hopkins picked up three first downs on the ground in the Bears’ second-quarter drive. HCHS got to the Middlesboro 13 on a 28-yard run by Hopkins before the drive again was stopped.
Grigsby added one more touchdown pass in the third quarter. Freshman James-Ryan Howard picked up a first down for the Bears.
Harlan County will play in a scrimmage Shelby Valley on Friday before opening the regular season on Aug. 20 at home against South Laurel.