Lady Devils meet preseason goals with win over Rosspoint in county finals

Seemingly in control of the seventh- and eighth-grade county championship after leading the entire first half, the Wallins Lady Devils watched Rosspoint pull within two in the third quarter on back-to-back 3-pointers by Maliyah Washington and Lindsey Skidmore.
Wallins coach Misty Hill called a timeout at that point and reminded her Lady Devils that the game was far from over.
“I told them to dig in and pick up the intensity. I know and they know that defense is what wins games for us,” Hill said. “We started to force some turnovers after that and converted on the other end. They are a great defensive team and know what they have to do to get it done.
The Lady Devils reeled off 13 straight points after the timeout on the way to a 32-22 win on Thursday at Harlan County High School to complete a perfect season against county competition and a 14-1 mark overall. Wallins entered the season as the county favorite and didn’t allow anyone to play within single digits, other than an early-season loss to Bell County.
“The girls felt the pressure and I felt the pressure, but we knew if we stayed the course we could do it. They just had to have confidence, and I thought they were ready tonight,” Hill said.
Preslee Hensley scored 12 points to lead a balanced offense under the direction of point guard Savannah Hill. Whitley Teague added nine points, followed by Hailie Hensley with seven and Whitney Noe with four.
“Savannah sees the floor well and got several assists,” Hill said. “Preslee is always able to get in there and finish. Whitley is a great rebounder and can score off the boards. Hailee hit some big shots, and Whitney puts good pressure on the ball. They work together so well.”
Skidmore scored 11 to lead the 7-5 Lady Cats.
———
James A. Cawood pulled away with an 8-0 run in the third quarter on the way to a 41-32 in the third-place game.
Lacy Robinson poured in 20 points to lead the Trojanettes.
Tori Robinson scored 12 and Rheagan Halcomb added 10 for the Lady Cats.
———
Wallins (32) — Whitley Teague 9, Whitney Noe 4, Hailie Hensley 7, Preslee Hensley 12.
Rosspoint (22) — Maliyah Washington 6, Braylee Engle 3, Lindsey Skidmore 11, Aubrey Hensley 2.
———
James A. Cawood (41) — Kaylissa Daniels 2, Jaiden Marlowe 9, Lacy Robinson 20, Hayley Ward 8, Holly Wright 2.
Evarts (32) — Tori Robinson 12, Willow Peace 4, Rheagan Halcomb 10, Julia Vick 6.

Preslee Hensley scored 12 points on Thursday to lead Wallins past Rosspoint 32-22 in the seventh- and eighth-grade county finals. (Jaylin Preston)