Noah pours in 43 as Bears overcome slow start to down Whitley

WILLIAMSBURG — Harlan County overcame a slow start Monday in its opening scrimmage to blow past Whitley County 87-70.
Sophomore guard Trent Noah poured in 43 points to lead the Black Bears. Jackson Huff and Maddox Huff added 15 and 10 points, respectively.
Junior guard Ashton Reynolds paced the host Colonels with 21 points. Brayden Mahan added 18, followed by Jackson Petrey with 14 and Bryce Anderson with 10.
Petrey had seven points as Whitley reeled off 16 unanswered points after HCHS scored first on a putback by Noah. The Bears were down 18-4 when Noah scored five straight and Maddox Huff added a basket to cut the deficit to 21-11 after one quarter.
Led by Maddox Nuff and Noah, along with baskets from Jonah Swanner and Daniel Carmical, the Bears fought back to within one, at 34-33, by halftime.
Swanner and Noah put HCHS on top early in the third quarter before Reynolds answered to put Whitley ahead 44-42. Jackson Huff’s 3-pointer ignited a 14-2 run to close the period and give the Bears a 56-46 lead.
Noah heated up in the fourth quarter as the Bears led by as many as 20. Reynolds hit five 3-pointers in the quarter to keep the Colonels within striking distance until Jackson Huff and Jeremiah Clem sparked another surge by HC.
Harlan County will play its second and final scrimmage on Saturday at South Laurel High School, taking on Great Crossing.
———
Harlan County rolled to a 47-14 win in junior varsity action.
Freshman center Jaycee Carter led the Bears with 13 points. Hunter Napier and Brody Napier added six points each. Ethan Simpson and Carter Howard tossed in five each. Connor Daniels and Terry Delaney added four each. Taelor Haywood and Erik Sullivan chipped in with two each.
———
Harlan County (87) — Trent Noah 43, Maddox Huff 10, Daniel Carmical 9, Jonah Swanner 5, Jackson Huff 15, Jeremiah Clem 3, Caleb Johnson 2.
Whitley County (70) — Ashton Reynolds 21, Brayden Mahan 18, Bryce Anderson 10, Ethan Keene 5, Jackson Petrey 14, Lucas Queener 2.