Harlan County’s Caldwell will continue track career at the Cumberlands

John Henson

Harlan County High School senior Ethan Caldwell signed with the University of Cumberlands on Wednesday to continue his track career. Pictured with Caldwell are, from left, front row: Eian Caldwell, Jerry Caldwell, Trey Farley and Emilee Caldwell; back row: HCHS athletic director Eugene Farmer, HCHS Principal Kathy Napier, HCHS track coach Ryan Vitatoe and HCHS assistant coach Arynn Johnson.

After a late start in track, Harlan County’s Ethan Caldwell has no plans to give up the sport as he graduates from high school on Sunday.
Caldwell signed to continued his track and field career at the University of the Cumberlands in ceremonies at HCHS on Wednesday.
“I’m very proud of Ethan and the opportunity his hard work has earned,” Harlan County coach Ryan Vitatoe said. “He’s always been committed and is a hard worker. I know he will do great at the next level. His discipline, attitude and work ethic will ensure that he will step in and contribute right away and that he will continue to learn and grow under the coaches at UC. He’s come a long way as a thrower in two short years, and I’m excited to see where he ends up before his career end.
“I also want to commend his throws coaches over the last few years. Coach Ronnie Daniels, Boo Johnson and Jake Bush have offered the wisdom and tutelage necessary for his success.”
Caldwell, who also plays football, joined the HCHS track program as a junior. He earned a varsity spot in the discus this year and competed in the regional meet for the first time earlier this week, finishing 13th. Caldwell was the partner in the state championship unified shot put winning team last year with Seth Robinson.
“I really loved their facilities and it’s not that far from home,” Caldwell said. “There were some amazing people there who are wonderful to work with.”
With so little experience in track, Caldwell is confident his best days in the sports are still ahead of him.
I think I’m still learning to throw the discus,” he said. “I can continue to get better.”