Huff’s buzzer-beating 3 caps 17-point comeback in win over Woodford

John Henson

Harlan County junior guard Jonah Swanner went to the basket in action against Woodford County at Frederick Douglass High School. Swanner scored 10 points in the Bears’ 77-76 victory.

Harlan County’s Maddox Huff worked inside against Woodford County in summer action Friday in Lexington. Huff poured in 30 points, including the game-winning 3-pointer, as HCHS won 77-76. (John Henson)

LEXINGTON — During a summer filled with distractions, the Harlan County Black Bears continue to find ways to win.
Harlan County rallied from a 17-point deficit Friday against Woodford County in the first evening of pool play in the statewide Mack, Miller and Lofton High School Tournament only to watch a controversial call go against them that appeared to cost HCHS the game. Harlan County had the ball in a tie game with 6.3 seconds left when the Bears called timeout, reportedly after being told by officials they had a timeout left. As it turned out, they didn’t. HCHS was assessed a technical and lost possession.
Woodford hit one of two technicals and one of two after a quick foul, giving the Bears a final chance. Sophomore guard Maddox Huff pulled up just inside the halfcourt line, dodging a Woodford defender in the process, before draining the game-winning 3 that sent the Bears to a 77-76 victory.
Huff poured in 30 points to lead the Bears, who improved to 10-1 on the summer. Senior guard Daniel Carmical added 21 points on seven 3-pointers. Junior guard Jonah Swanner tossed in 10 points. Freshman forward Hunter Napier had a huge game off the bench with eight points, all in the second half. Brody Napier and Jaycee Carter added five and three points, respectively.
The Bears were unable to build on their success in the second game of the night as Pulaski County rolled to a 73-50 victory.
Huff led the Bears with 18 points. Carmical scored nine, followed by Carter with eight, Swanner with seven, Hunter Napier with four, Caleb Johnson with three and Terry Michael Delaney with one.
HCHS conclude pool play on Saturday at 12:10 p.m. against Russell County.