Carmical shoots Bears to victory in Lexington tourney

John Henson

Harlan County guard Daniel Carmical, pictured in action Friday against Pulaski County, hit seven 3-pointers and scored 25 points in the Bears’ win over Chapmanville, W.Va., on Saturday in the Mack, Miller and Lofton High School Tournament at Frederick Douglass High School.

LEXINGTON — Heading into his third season as a starter in the Harlan County backcourt, Daniel Carmical is well known as one of the 13th Region’s top shooters.
That information is also becoming obvious for spectators at the statewide Mack, Miller and Lofton High School Tournament at Frederick Douglass High School. Carmical followed a 21-point performance Friday in a win over Woodford County with a 25-point outburst Saturday against Chapmanville, W.Va., to lead the Bears to a 59-37 victory as HCHS closed pool play with a 2-1 record.
Jonah Swanner and Maddox Huff added 11 and 10 points, respectively, as the Bears improved to 11-2 on the summer. Hunter Napier tossed in seven points off the bench. Jaycee Carter and Caleb Johnson contributed four and two points, respectively.
Carmical hit three of his seven 3-pointers in the first half as the Bears took an early 23-6 lead. Huff and Swanner added eight points each and Napier scored seven as the Bears built a 36-20 halftime lead.
Chapmanville closed to within 11 early in the second half before Carmical heated up again, hitting four more 3-pointers.
———
The Harlan County junior varsity team split a pair of games, falling 52-47 to George Rogers Clark before defeating Henry Clay 45-35.
Terry Michael Delaney scored 15 and Reggie Cottrell added 13 in the loss to GRC. Hunter Napier and Ethan Simpson each scored six. Taelor Haywood and Brennan Blevins added four and three points, respectively.
No scoring information was available on the Henry Clay game.