Bears win opening scrimmage at Coastal Carolina behind 38 from Huff

John Henson

Harlan County guard Maddox Huff brought the ball down the court against Gray Collegiate, S.C., in the Coastal Carolina Team Camp on Wednesday. Huff scored 38 points in a win over Northwood Temple Academy, N.C.

CONWAY, S.C. — A long trip to South Carolina for the Coastal Carolina Team Camp did nothing to cool off Harlan County sophomore guard Maddox Huff.
Huff continued his strong summer with the Black Bears by scoring 38 points while adding 10 rebounds and nine assists as HCHS knocked off Northwood Temple Academy, N.C., 85-74 on Wednesday in the first day of play in the camp, which featured teams from several states.
With the Bears locked in a 48-all tie early in the second half, Huff hit a 3, then scored off a drive before finding Brody Napier and Jaycee Carter for baskets in a 12-0 run that put Harlan County in control.
Napier added 18 points in his strongest performance of the summer. Daniel Carmical added 15 points on five 3-pointers. Carter scored eight, while Caleb Johnson added four and Hunter Napier scored two.
Huff scored 16 to lead the Bears in a 59-37 loss to an extremely athletic Gray Collegiate, S.C., team. Terry Michael Delaney scored six. Johnson and Carter added four each. Carmical scored three. Hunter Napier and Brody Napier tossed in two each.
Harlan County fell 58-50 to North Charleston, S.C., in a physical matchup that featured numerous double-teams of Huff. Huff scored 23 and Carmical added 19 as the Bears fell to 12-5 on the summer. Carter and Johnson scored four each.
———
Harlan County won two of three games in junior varsity action, closing with a 37-28 win over Carvers Bay, S.C. as the Bears rallied from a three-point halftime deficit.
Freshman guard Reggie Cottrell sparked the comeback with with a pair of 3-pointers in the second half on the way to a 13-point performance. Terry Michael Delaney and Hunter Napier, both freshmen forwards, added five and four points, respectively. Taelor Haywood, Aiden Reynolds and Brennan Blevins scored two points each.
Cottrell scored 13 and Blevins tossed in eight in a 34-32 win over Greenbrier, S.C. Reynolds and Ethan Simpson added four each. Evan Simpson scored three. Delaney added two.
Harlan County fell 50-46 to Cherokee, Tenn. No scoring information was available.
Both varsity and junior varsity teams will play three scrimmages each Thursday and close with games Friday.

Harlan County freshman guard Reggie Cottrell went up for two of his 13 points in the Bears’ win over Carvers Bay, S.C. (John Henson)

Harlan County guard Brody Napier worked against pressure from the Gray Collegiate defense in action from the Coastal Carolina Team Camp. (John Henson)